Updated: Aug 28, 2020
How much sleep do you need?
7-9 hours people! You can have a 4 hours sleep cycle if you’re an elephant and 23 hours if you’re a house cat. Are you a person? Then 7-9.
Why is sleep important?
Almost no aspect of health is more important than your sleep cycle. It actually cleans the clutter from your brain, stores all the memories and learning you've collected during the day, and keeps you young
1. Get up at the same time everyday. Yes, even weekends. This avoids the Monday effect of “social jet-lag” that is so common.
2. Going to bed at the same time every night is less important but go to bed when you’re tired.
3. Don’t stay in bed trying to sleep for more than 15 minutes. This becomes upsetting and counter-productive. Get up, leave the room and do something low-stimulation. Reading (a book) is good for this.
4. Occupy your busy mind while trying to sleep. Anything that requires just enough attention that you can’t worry and stress, but not so much that it is stimulating. I use visualizations - imagining myself flying over a vast and empty ocean. It can also help to keep a writing pad by your bed and write down your worries and plans for the next day so you don't have to think about them as you enjoy your sleep cycle..
5. Cultivate a sleep routine. Something like: Phone to silent->Shower->Green tea->read for 30 minutes->Bed. The sleep cycle beginning becomes a conditioned response to this ritual.
6. Trust me. Get enough from your sleep cycle for a week and check in on how you feel. You’re likely to be amazed!